Delhi Travel Guide: Unravel the Unknown Tales of the City
“Delhi is the symbol of old India and new… Even the stones here whisper to our ears of the ages of long ago and the air we breathe is full of the dust and fragrances of the past, as also of the fresh and piercing winds of the present.” These beautiful lines by Jawaharlal Nehru are a perfect way to describe the beauty of Delhi.
As per the World Travel and Tourism Council India Initiative (WTTCII), Delhi is ranked as the most tourist-friendly destinations in India followed by Maharashtra. The city is dotted with Forts, Mosques and Monuments taking you back to the Mughal Era. If you want to romance with the bygone era, then here is your Delhi travel guide.
Romance with the Bygone Times
Unravel the historic beauty of Delhi by visiting historical monuments such as:
Qutub Minar Complex
Explore the glimpses of Mughal architecture while heading to the Qutub Minar Complex. This 73-meter high tower in India is one of the finest monuments in India.
Humayun Tomb is the next attraction that you can head to. This Royal Mausoleum, having glimpses of Taj Mahal, was constructed in 1565 AD. This was constructed at a cost of Rs 15 Lakh rupees. The tomb was created for storing the mortal remains of Humayun, the second Mughal Emperor of India.
Delve into the wonders of the most iconic monument in Delhi. It was built in 1638 to keep off the invaders. Now, the Fort attracts one of the main crowd to the city. The Drum House, the Hall of Public Audiences, the white marble Hall of Private Audiences, the Pearl Mosque, Royal Baths and the Palace of Color.
This 42-meter tall archway was built in the reminiscence of soldiers. This war memorial was constructed on 10th February 1921. The architectural style used is Triumphal Arch.
Enjoy the Marvel of Mosques and Temples
Head to explore some of Delhi’s prominent mosques and temples. Here is the list:
- ISKON temples
- Jama Masjid
- Gurudwara Bangla Sahib
Explore the Dazzling Markets of New Delhi
Find a wide range of fabrics, sarees and lehengas in Delhi’s dazzling markets. Some of the prominent markets of Delhi include:
- Connaught Place for fabric, jewellery, Indian books, handicraft items, electronic goods and much more.
- Palika Bazaar for clothes, perfumes, accessories, footwear, electronic products and CDs.
- Janpath is your perfect bet for exploring wallets, pockets and purses.
- Sarojini Market is a great place for fashion freaks looking for apparels at a cheap rate.
- Lajpat Nagar Market is a great option for traditional Indian dresses.
- Khan Market is a great place for bookshops, showrooms of branded clothes, boutiques and stores.
- Dilli Haat offers traditional handicrafts and handlooms.
- Chandni Chowk is a shopper’s paradise for those looking for wedding lehengas, embroidered bags, semi-precious jewellery, silk and cotton clothes
- Greater Kailash offers an ample number of options for traditional clothes, jewellery and footwear.
Spa Options to Go for in Delhi
Enjoy the leisure of scrubs and massages giving you a great soothing experience. Here are five top spas where you can rejuvenate yourself:
- ESPA, the Leela Palace with a tariff starting at somewhat around Rs 7,000.
- Lodhi Spa & Salon starts with a tariff of Rs 8,000.
- R—The Spa, Radisson Blu Plaza Delhi Airport starts with a tariff of Rs 4,000.
- Jiva Grande Spa, Taj Palace starts with a tariff of Rs 7,500.
- Club One Fitness & Spa, the Suryaa start with a tariff of Rs 4,000.
Bird Watching in Delhi
Heading to Delhi, then do not miss out on the wonders of exploring the sights of beautiful birds flying in the air. The national capital is a paradise for bird watchers. It is a home to 50 species of birds along with 70 butterfly species. Here is the list of some of the interesting bird sanctuaries that you can cover in Delhi:
- Yamuna Biodiversity Park
Birds Found: Shovelers, Red-crested Pochard, Pintails, Gadwalls, Cormorants etc.
Nearest Metro Station: Model Town or Vishwavidyala Metro Station.
- Aravalli Biodiversity Park
Some of the Birds Found: Indian robins, Red-whiskered Bulbul and black kites.
Nearest Metro Station: Chhattarpur Metro Station
- North Delhi Ridge
Some of the Birds Found: Crow pheasant, Oriental Honey-Buzzards and Woodpeckers
Nearest Metro Station: Vishwavidyalaya Metro Station
- Asola Bhatti Wildlife Sanctuary
Some of the Birds Found: Orphean Warbler, Yellow-eyed Babblers and Sirkeer Malkoha
Nearest Metro Station: Tughlakabad Metro Station
- Okhla Bird Sanctuary
Some of the Birds Found: Sarus Crane, White-Rumped Vulture and Indian peafowl
Nearest Metro Station: Botanical Garden Metro Station
Looking for a hotel in Delhi? Here are some of the options
Delhi houses a wide variety of hotels ranging from five stars to budget hotels. Most of the hotels are located near Connaught Place and somewhere around Old Delhi. Here is a brief list of hotels from which you can choose from:
- New Delhi Aerocity
- Imperial Hotel
- Ginger Hotel
- Hyatt Regency
- The Lodhi Hotel
- Hotels to Stay in New Delhi
- Pride Plaza Hotel
- Pullman’s Hotel
- Leela Palace Chanakya Puri
- Svelte Hotel
Delve into the Street Food of Old Delhi
When heading to Old Delhi, do not miss on the fun-filled rickshaw ride in the narrow streets of Chandni Chowk. Head to the Paranthe Wali Gali for relishing the different varieties of Paranthas. These varieties range from the Rabdi Parantha, Banana/Kela Parantha and Papad Paratha. Do grab a glass of Lassi while enjoying the different delicacies of Old Delhi.
Before we leave here are some of the quick facts about the city.
Government: Indian National Capital Territory
Currency: Indian rupee (INR)
Area: 573.0 km2
Population: 11,007,835(2011 est.)
Language: Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, English
Religion: Hinduism 82.7%, Islam 10%, Sikhism 5%, Jainism 1.1%, Other: 1.2%
Best time to visit: September to April
Now, carry this travel guide while exploring the historical splendour of Delhi.
Suggested Tours for Delhi:
Indiator is a Noida based travel company pioneered in providing tour packages and airport transfer service in India. The offered tour packages range from Honeymoon, Excursion, multi-day, group tour, etc. Its 24/7 service availability and instant booking confirmation is highly appreciated.
February 13, 2024
February 12, 2024
February 9, 2024