Haridwar is all set for Kumbh Mela 2021! Are you?
Indians have a deep sense of spirituality that manifests in the grand ways they celebrate their festivals. One of such famous occasions is the Kumbh Mela celebration which plays a very important role for Hindus. Lit-up holy ghats, euphoric chants, elated monks, and lacs of devotees lining up to bathe in the holy water to attain moksha and wash away their sins is what the Kumbh Mela is all about.
The onset of Kumbh Mela 2021
The ritual takes place every 3 years in one of the 4 select places, namely Haridwar, Allahabad (Prayag Raj), Ujjain, and Nasik and each place gets to host the massive celebration again in every 12 years. The long interval is reason enough for the event to be rather momentous. This time the Kumbh Mela is going to commence on 14th January, 2021 on the holy occasion of Makar Sankranti at Haridwar in Uttarakhand and will last till 27th April, 2021. Since the coming Kumbh is just a year away and people are already looking for the perfect Haridwar tour package to partake in the occasion, we bring to you a list of auspicious dates for holy baths so that you don’t miss a chance to get rid of all your sins in Kumbh Mela 2021!
The Shahi Snan– highlight of the Kumbh Mela
Kumbh Mela features the largest gathering in a religious occasion for Hindus and Shahi Snan is arguably the most famous and talked about ritual during this event. Kumbh Mela places a lot of significance on ascetics who visit the site of Kumbh in large numbers to bathe in the holy water. Often naked or in their bare minimums, approaching the river in glorious processions, and covered in holy ash, these ascetics are the first ones to take a dip in the holy water and this act is termed as the Shahi Snan. Later, the general people or devotees that come from all over the world to be a part of the Kumbh are allowed to bathe in the river to wash away their sins.
The Shahi Snan takes place 4 times during a Kumbh Mela. The dates of the Shahi Snan in Kumbh 2021 have been announced. Take a look:
- 11 March, 2021: Although Kumbh will be up and running in its full fervour from 14th January, 2021, the first Shahi Snan will take place on 11th March on the auspicious day of Mahashivratri which is big festival for disciples of Lord Shiva.
- 12 April, 2021: The second Shahi Snan will be held on Somawati Amavsya.
- 14 April, 2021: The festival of Baisakhi will be marked by the third Shahi Snan.
- 27 April, 2021: The last Shahi Snan will be held on Chaitra Purnima which will also mark the end of Kumbh Mela 2021.
Auspicious dates for general bathing in Kumbh 2021
While taking a bath in holy Ganges any day during the Kumbh is considered a holy affair, the Akhara Parishad, an organization of Hindu saints, decides upon a few highly auspicious dates when bathing in the holy river during Kumbh is considered all the more rewarding. Special arrangements are made on this day to make the event doubly lively and vibrant. Take a look at these dates for Kumbh 2021 to plan your Haridwar tour accordingly:
- 14 January, 2021: This is the day when the Kumbh Mela 2021 will begin. Makar Sankranti is also on the same day.
- 11 February, 2021: Mauni Amavsya will be the day for another special bathing date.
- 16 February, 2021: Basant Panchami will mark another auspicious day for bathing in River Ganges.
- 27 February, 2021: Another sacred day for taking a dip in Ganges will be on Magh Purnima.
- 13 April, 2021: Chaitra Shukla is yet another lucky day for getting rid of your sins in the Kumbh Mela.
- 21 April, 2021: The popular Hindu festival of Ram Navmi is another favourable day to attain Moksha by bathing in River Ganges.
Now that you know how magnificent the event is going to be and have a clear idea of the dates for the holy baths, plan an India tour soon before it gets too late to find good accommodation.
March 18, 2020
March 7, 2020
February 28, 2020