How to Plan Your Perfect Munnar Tour?
Munnar is rightly called as “God’s own country”. The small hill station is situated amidst the greenery of the Western Ghats at an altitude of 6,000 ft.
It is located in the Idukki district of Kerala and is a popular and yet offbeat tourist spot in India since the colonial times. It is the ideal place to spend the summer if you are looking for a place to relax in the spectacular scenery of picturesque valleys and never-ending tea gardens.
In whichever direction you turn your gaze you can only witness an expanse of green spreading till the horizons. Know all about the best of Munnar to plan the ideal Munnar tour.
How to reach
Munnar can be reached by road, railway and by air too.
- By Train: The nearest railway stations are Ernakulam, about 140 kilometres away and Aluva, about 108 kilometres away.
- Air: If you are travelling by air, the nearest airport is Cochin International Airport, 110 kilometres away from Munnar.
- By Road: Munnar is about 130 kilometres away from Kochi and can be reached by road if you take the Kochi Dhanushkodi National Highway.
Where to stay
Munnar has several well-established hotels, resorts, and homestays to cater to the lodging needs of several tourists visiting the place every year. You can easily find luxury hotels, budget hotels and family accommodation in Munnar while selecting Munnar holiday package.
When to visit Munnar
The best time to visit Munnar would be from October to May. On a whole, Munnar experiences pleasant climate all throughout the year. The average temperature during summer ranges between 15°C to 25 °C and 5°C to 25°C in winter.
Summers in Munnar are extremely pleasant and March to May remains the best time to visit the place and enjoy the cool climate.
Winters in Munnar to remain very pleasant and picturesque for both families on vacation and honeymoon couples. Several Munnar tour packages are available during these months.
The off season extends from June to September during the monsoon months when people generally avoid the place. Expect heavy discounts in the tariff during the offseason and though there are few tourists visiting Munnar in monsoon, the lush green expanses during the rains make the place uniquely charming.
Sightseeing spots in Munnar for tourists
Munnar is a place offering several attractions for the visiting tourists. Munnar sightseeing tour must include these few places which make Munnar worth visiting once in a lifetime. Know about these attractions before planning your perfect Munnar tour.
- Anamudi Peak- The Anamudi Peak is the highest peak in the Western Ghats and the whole of South India. Located inside the Eravikulam National Park, the elevation of the Anamudi Peak is 8842 ft above sea level and is on the top of the list of attractions.
- Eravikulam National Park- The Eravikulam National Park is home to the main fauna attraction of Munnar, the Nilgiri tahr. The well-maintained national park is the habitat of a large range of flora and fauna. You can find several endemic species like the sambar, Nilgiri langur, the Nilgiri wood pigeon and other rare birds and butterflies. It also offers best views of the tea gardens and hills.
- Munnar Tea Museum-Munnar sightseeing tour is incomplete without a visit to the Munnar Tea Museum. You must visit the place to gather knowledge about the evolution of tea plantations and know about several historical facts and anecdotes.
- Mattupetty Dam- About 13 km from Munnar is the Mattupetty Dam that is frequented by tourists to view the dam as well as the lake that offers great views of the hills and tea gardens all around.
- Top Station- The Top Station is the highest point of the Munnar-Kodaikanal route and is often visited by tourists during the Neelakurinji flower blossom time to have a panoramic view of the hills covered by the blue flower.
- Chinnakanal and Anayirangal- These waterfalls of the Western Ghats offer the typical scenic beauty that is associated with the Ghats. Surrounded by lush green on all sides, the falls cascade down from a height of above 2000m.
Things to do in Munnar
Munnar holiday packages come with experiences of a lifetime. Make sure your Munnar trip package incorporates most of these exciting experiences to let you have the best of this mesmerizing landscape.
- Go to see the Nilgiri tahr- The Nilgiri tahr is an endangered species found especially in the Eravikulam National Park in Munnar. Make sure to see the rare and endangered species like the Nilgiri tahr to witness a different side of nature.
- Try trekking is frequented by trekkers because of exciting opportunities for exploration. Nature lovers and trekkers must experience trekking up to Top Station and Echo Point in Munnar to feel like reaching the top of the world.
- Explore the tea plantations- While you must know about the history of tea plantations from the Tea Museum, do not miss strolling around the tea estates to have a firsthand experience of tea plantations. The aroma in the air is refreshing while the view is rejuvenating for the soul.
- Romance in the rolling hills- Rediscover romance in life or spend your honeymoon in these picturesque hills and valleys of Munnar. There can be nothing more romantic than some tranquil moments spent in these landscapes.
Spot the Neelakurinji blossom
The Neelakurinji blossoms in the rolling hills of Munnar once in 12 years. If you are lucky enough to visit Munnar during this time it is nothing short of a lifetime achievement.
Suggested Tour Packages
February 20, 2020
February 14, 2020