The City of Lakes, Love and Lush Landscapes: Udaipur
Close your eyes and think of the most royal romantic settings. Are you picturing a grand palace facing a serene lake surrounded by glorious hills? Well, what you just imagined is one of the most striking scenes of the picturesque city of Udaipur. And do you know why this image comes to your mind when you connect royalty with romance? It’s because every Bollywood movie ever made has used Udaipur as the site to capture grand Indian romances and regal weddings. So, it comes as no surprise that each one of us has a desire to explore this divine place. But, before you go on planning a trip, there’s a lot you need to know and learn so that you can enjoy your Udaipur city tour to the core. And that’s exactly what we are going to help you with! Here we are with the perfect Udaipur travel guide to answer all the possible questions that you want to be answered before heading to explore Udaipur. Read and learn, fellow travellers!
Where Is Udaipur And Why Is It So Popular?
Udaipur is a beautiful city situated in the Indian state of Rajasthan, close to the Gujarat border. It was founded by the Rajput king Maharana Udai Singh 2 in the year 1558 and became the capital city of the kingdom of Mewar.
Udaipur is popular because of its picturesque location surrounded with lakes and the majestic Aravali range. To add to that, the city houses a number of grand forts and palaces which are an exquisite reminder of the glory of the bygone days and make for a famous tourist spot. The breathtakingly beautiful view of the city is what makes Udaipur tour packages a hit among globetrotters.
How To Reach Udaipur?
Udaipur has good connectivity with all the prominent cities of India by means of air, road, and railway. Here is how you can reach the city by various modes of transportation:
- By air– The domestic Maharana Pratap Airport of Udaipur has daily flights to major Indian cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Jaipur, Chennai, etc. With flights like Air India, Indigo, and Spice Jet operational here, you can travel in ease and comfort.
- By road– Udaipur is at a distance of around 700 km from both Delhi and Mumbai and boasts of well-paved roads so a road trip can be an interesting and adventurous option. You can also head to the city from Jaipur by taking a 6-hour drive. You may also travel by bus to Udaipur City Bus Depot or can take private cabs to travel by road.
- By rail– The two major railway stations of Udaipur, namely Udaipur City Railway Station and Rana Pratap Nagar Railway Station, have trains running to all the major cities. Luxury trains like The Palace on Wheels, Royal Rajasthan on Wheels, and Maharaja Express also stop at Udaipur so if you are looking for a deluxe travel experience, you can always go for these options.
What Are Some Of The Most Famous Places In Udaipur?
There are so many amazing places to visit in Udaipur that you will be spoilt for choice! While covering all the places can be a little overreaching, here are some of the places that you just can’t miss on your Udaipur excursions:
- City Palace- A royal exemplar of the grandeur of ancient India, the City Palace of Udaipur is a structure that will leave you amazed at its opulence. Adorned with lavish courtyards, terraces, corridors and gardens, the palace also houses a museum with antiquities from the imperial era.
- Lake Palace- Once a renowned summer palace of the Rajputs called Jag Niwas, the Lake Palace is now a luxurious 5-star hotel under the Taj. Its white marble structure and location over an island is what makes it so desirable to travellers.
- Sajjan Garh Palace- Also known as the Monsoon Palace, this stunning edifice was used to keep track of the monsoons by using it as an astronomical centre. It was also a famous resort of the Maharana and owing to that fact its beautiful vista is a sight to behold.
- Jag Mandir- Another gorgeous structure located on an island in Lake Pichola, Jag Mandir was also a famous pleasure house of the royal family and can be reached by an exhilarating boat ride from the Bansi Ghat jetty.
- Jagdish Temple- If you are a devout and the divine aura of temples attracts you, then you must visit the Jagdish Temple which is located at the heart of the city and is a famous shrine which is constantly worshipped since 1651.
- Karni Mata Temple- Reaching this temple is an adventurous affair as one has to take a rope-way to get to the hill on which the temple is located. The temple appeals to tourists as they can get a picturesque panoramic view of the city from this height.
- Lake Pichola- This is probably the most famous site in the city as it houses most of the islands and edifices that make for major components of Udaipur sightseeing tour. It is a stunning artificial freshwater lake whose beauty knows no bounds.
- Fateh Sagar Lake- Another beautiful piece in the glorious picture of Udaipur, the Fateh Sagar Lake is one of the most visited travel destinations, and rightly so, because of its ravishing beauty.
What Can I Do In Udaipur?
Since Udaipur is home to so many unique and glorious sites, there are a lot of things to do in Udaipur that will make your tour exciting and engaging. First and foremost, you must visit all the grand palaces, forts, and lakes of the city to absorb the scenic beauty of the place. Secondly, since Udaipur is an important cultural centre, you must take a cultural tour exploring its local villages, meeting the natives, getting to know their customs and traditions, to get a deep cultural understanding of the ancient city. Since no city tour is complete without getting to taste some delightful dishes of that place, you must explore some of the local restaurants in Udaipur to relish the lip-smacking Rajasthani cuisine in its most authentic form. After satiating your hunger, pamper yourself by shopping in Udaipur. To make the most of your retail therapy session, head to the local markets selling traditional clothes, handicrafts, and souvenirs. If you are feeling adventurous, you can also take up a thrilling horse-ride session to enjoy your Udaipur tour to the fullest.
What Is The Best Time To Visit Udaipur?
Since summertime in Udaipur can get way too harsh due to extreme heat, visiting in winter is the apt way to enjoy your tour to Udaipur in a comfortable manner. Head to Udaipur anytime between October and February so that you can explore all the places without letting the sun beat you down with its excruciating heat. However, if you want to be a part of the Mewar Festival then you can plan your trip for the month of March, which is when this festival is held.
If you’ve reached till here, you are well-prepared to plan a tour to Udaipur. Book your tickets and get going already. The ‘most romantic spot on the continent of India’ awaits you!
February 20, 2020
February 14, 2020